The Apple Effect

Why, as I sit here typing this post, have I been itching to get an Apple computer? More specifically, a MacBook Pro laptop. I already have a laptop, provided by work, and a home desktop that is close to 4 years of age but works fine, yet I am here fiddling with the options on the Apple.com web store dreaming about hitting that "Check out now" button with what I think is a decent and conservative configuration.

Why do I and so many others want to jump on the Apple bus so badly? Could it possibly be that much better, or are we just being played by excellent marketing tactics and pressure for items that provide social status?

What can I do on an Apple computer that I can't do on my current Windows XP machines? Or is it not what I can do, but how easily? And does that really merit spending over a grand (unless you choose the Mac Mini) for an Apple setup?

I'll follow up later, but I would like to know what you think.

Comments

Unknown said…
The constant suckiness of Windows got to me, and knowing that it is never, ever, ever going to get any better made me switch (although I moved to Linux, not to the Mac. Honestly, the hopelessness of it all is enough to make even the most stoic Windows XP user to begin to hate the Start button.
Anonymous said…
If you run a Mac full time for even a couple of days, the overall improvement becomes obvious.

It's like this...a Porsche costs more than a Mustang, but when you hit the gas you know immediately where the extra money went. :)

There's nothing you "can't" do with a PC that you can do with a Mac (other than iPhone development.) But it's a much more pleasant and reliable experience. It will take Windows 5+ years to get where OSX is today.
Unknown said…
I will attest to the fantastic quality of the Mac. I've been a windows fan (and that is so over, I'm a linux fan, and I loved the mac. My ideological predispositions make it not a good fit for me, but I would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

Really, anything is better than windows, and windows is never. going. to. get. better.
Erator said…
Yeah, I have to agree with both of you.
I don't think I've ever met someone that would recommend something like Apple users recommend the mac.

I must say that if they do come out with these supposedly new laptops in June, I will most likely be joining the ranks of the mac fellowship.
Erator said…
Also, thanks for commenting, this is exactly what I'm looking for to getting out of the blog: interaction.

Popular posts from this blog

Failing

I am going to write daily